Flyball is often described as Drag Racing for Dogs - it's fast, noisy and loads of fun.
Flyball is a canine team sport which is founded on the activities dogs love to do - run, jump, retrieve, compete and most of all their desired to please their owners. The sport is a relay race between two teams of four dogs. Each dog must jump over four hurdles, retrieve a ball by triggering a flyball box pedal and then return with the ball over the hurdles to the start/finish line.
Flyball is an all inclusive sport - any dog, regardless of breed, size, shape or formal training, can participate and join in the fun.
Flyball does not interfere with obedience training. In fact, the sport reinforces the disciplines taught in obedience training.
Race meets are run in performance-based divisions. The fastest teams are placed in Division 1 and slower divisions follow sequentially. This enables every team to have a fair go and to be competitive in their division.
Flyball is pure fun for everyone, the dogs, handlers and spectators. Spectators are encouraged to applaud, laugh and cheer on their favourite team.
The Flyball community is passionate, encouraging and diverse. The enthusiasm and sheer exhilaration of the dogs’ faces (and some of the handlers faces too) creates a vibrant atmosphere.
If you are looking for a new and stimulating way to spend time with your pet – then why not give Flyball a go!
Training is held over Wednesday evening from 7:00 pm to 9:30 pm.
CCKC Clubhouse, 11 Quigley Street Cairns.
- Annual fee of $85 for members.
- A pro-rata fee of $45 applies for handlers joining after 30 June.
- Download a copy the Introduction to Flyball handout
- Download a copy of the 2020 Dog Sports Newsletter
- Download a copy of the CCKC Membership Application Form
- Download a copy of the 2020 Dog Sports Training Registration Form
- Check the Club's Facebook page for updates on dog sport training
- Contact the Flyball Instructor for further information.